The Winchester Public Library is housed in the former Winchester Elementary School located in the heart of the picturesque Town of Winchester.
The library provides one of the most up to date collections of current popular fiction in the area. Informational books, audio books on cassette tapes and CD, movies on DVD, magazines, local newspapers, are also available for check out.
Through interlibrary loan, patrons have access to library materials from all over Wisconsin and beyond. The library can help you with requests. Books can be requested by going online to the Merlin catalog. The WISCAT catalog can be checked for items not available in Merlin.
Patrons access the Internet by using our public access computers or with their own computers on our wireless network. WIFI is always available in the parking lot, even when the library is closed.
Winchester School History
Excerpts taken from the Winchester School Board minutes 1958-1966. Compiled by Ann Wilson.
A sealed bid was opened for the combined services of cook and janitor for the sum of $150.00 per month.
The Winchester Women's Club offered to purchase and install floor tile for the activity room.
Teaching contract with Walter Engel for 1959-60 school term at $4200.00 was approved by the board.
Mr. Engel is teaching 21 pupils and Mrs Dodge 24 for a total of 45 pupils currently enrolled.
The board wishes to thank the PTA for the vitamin pills purchased by them for the school children and also their sharing of the expense of the Christmas candy.
The 7th and 8th graders will go to Madison the 24th returning the 27th.
Chairman, Mr Stephan Hologa read the proposed budget for 1960 - 61, with a requested appropriation of $16,000.
On October 18th, Dr. Hiatt gave health examinations to the pupils.
Motion by Linda Clark seconded by Art LaHa to continue hot lunch program as before, .15 per meal per student.
Graduation exercises set for May 25th, three graduates.
All boards have a few problems within their districts, ours low enrollment, high cost for operating the school and not being able to give them more opportunities in the field of education.
The Director stated that board Members from the 4 towns, Boulder Junction, Manitowish Waters, Presque Isle, and Winchester school Districts had met to discuss the possibilities of a K-8 elementary school.
Several parents attended the meeting expressing their interest in keeping the Winchester School open. The board agreed to survey all parents and to continue to search for a qualified teacher. The parent survey indicated that the majority of parents favored sending their children to the Manitowish Waters grade School on a tuition basis for the 66 - 67 school term. Students were allowed to attend Manitowish Waters, Presque Isle, or Mercer.
The large bell hanging in the belfry, on the roof of the school, called the students back to class for the last time.