Library Board

Our Town Library Board consists of;

 Richard Smith- President

Nancy Johnson- Secretary

Bob Bridges- Treasurer

Ruthann Sather- Member

Galen Brownewell- Town Liaison

 

Library Mission

“The Winchester Public Library strives to provide the community with information in a variety of formats, as well as educational, cultural, and recreational opportunities for our patrons.”

 

Adopted by the Board of Trustees

About Us

The Winchester Public Library is housed in the former Winchester Elementary School located in the heart of the picturesque Town of Winchester.

The library provides one of the most up to date collections of current popular fiction in the area. Informational books, audio books on cassette tapes and CD, movies on DVD,  magazines, local newspapers, are also available for check out.

Through interlibrary loan, patrons have access to library materials from all over Wisconsin and beyond. The library can help you with requests. Books can be requested by going online to the Merlin catalog. The WISCAT catalog can be checked for items not available in Merlin.

Patrons access the Internet by using our public access computers or with their own computers on our wireless network. WIFI is always available in the parking lot, even when the library is closed.




Original Building


Winchester School History
 

Excerpts taken from the Winchester School Board minutes 1958-1966.  Compiled by Ann Wilson. 

August 1958
A sealed bid was opened for the combined services of cook and janitor for the sum of $150.00 per month.

November 1958
The Winchester Women's Club offered to purchase and install floor tile for the activity room.

March 1959
Teaching contract with Walter Engel for 1959-60 school term at $4200.00 was approved by the board.

September 1959
Mr. Engel is teaching 21 pupils and Mrs Dodge 24 for a total of 45 pupils currently enrolled.

January 1959
The board wishes to thank the PTA for the vitamin pills purchased by them for the school children and also their sharing of the expense of the Christmas candy.

May 1960
The 7th and 8th graders will go to Madison the 24th returning the 27th.

July 1960
Chairman, Mr Stephan Hologa read the proposed budget for 1960 - 61, with a requested appropriation of $16,000.

October 1961
On October 18th, Dr. Hiatt gave health examinations to the pupils.

July 1964
Motion by Linda Clark seconded by Art LaHa to continue hot lunch program as before, .15 per meal per student.

May 1965
Graduation exercises set for May 25th, three graduates.

June 1966
All boards have a few problems within their districts, ours low enrollment, high cost for operating the school and not being able to give them more opportunities in the field of education.

July 1966
The Director stated that board Members from the 4 towns, Boulder Junction, Manitowish Waters, Presque Isle, and Winchester school Districts had met to discuss the possibilities of a K-8 elementary school.

August 1966
Several parents attended the meeting expressing their interest in keeping the Winchester School open. The board agreed to survey all parents and to continue to search for a qualified teacher. The parent survey indicated that the majority of parents favored sending their children to the Manitowish Waters grade School on a tuition basis for the 66 - 67 school term. Students were allowed to attend Manitowish Waters, Presque Isle, or Mercer.

May 1966
The large bell hanging in the belfry, on the roof of the school, called the students back to class for the last time.

 

Subcategories